Friday, October 2, 2009

Death of Mediocrity

Tonight I was out on my nightly walk with God about ready to go in when I heard the sound of a car flipping so I ran over to 299 where I found one destroyed car and one person lying lifeless on the ground. There were several people there already calling 911. A 20ish year old kid lost control of his car and rolled 5 times apparently. I watched as he died in the ambulance. All of which happen about 20 minutes ago. It’s a weird thing to watch someone die, it all seems so surreal, but yet I still have the mental picture of him lying contorted and lifeless on the ground except for a few gasps gargled of breath which I can only assume is from internal bleeding. Its one of those things you just don’t know what to do with. Part of me wants to weep, part of me wants to brush it off. It’s scary to think that this could happen to almost anyone. Seeing death first hand is a sobering thing. The worst thing is sitting here wondering whether this young man is now in hell or in heaven. If I had to guess by his attire and a few CD’s lying on the ground I would guess no. I have never really had to face death so personally before, I still have all 4 grandparents, never lost a best friend in high school, I lost friends but never anyone terribly close. But to witness it first hand is even harder, I know people who have seen things far worse than what I witnessed tonight, but the thought of this guy being in hell right now tears my heart to the core. It feels as though my heart just wants to burst out of my chest because of the painful thought of where this kid could be right now. As Christians we are good at loving Jesus, but I wonder has anyone ever told this young about Jesus. Has anyone ever taken the time to love him enough to tell him there is more than just this life? I think often the reason we suck at telling people about Jesus is the fact that we don’t really care. Lets be honest we may love Jesus but do we really love the people he loves? Do we really care enough that we will do what ever it takes to see that no one ends up in hell? Or do we just do tell people about Jesus when it’s easy, when it’s convenient, when it’s not hard? I’m not trying to condemn anyone; I’m just merely speculating a renewed passion to love God and the people whom he loves. I think another we reason that we suck at telling people about Jesus is that we take this life for granted, in fact we take everyday for granted. I can only picture the phone call this kids parents will get tonight. The pain, the crying, the disbelief at never seeing their son again. Even as I write this all I want to do is call my parents and tell them how much I love them. I think it’s time we stepped up as Christians. I think it’s time we really truly made the most of everyday, encouraging others, telling others about Jesus, and praising our God for this very day that we have been blessed with. I’m done for now, I know there is no real conclusion to this other than my to do list for tomorrow. Tell my parents I love them, tell my friends how much they mean to me, and sell the motorcycle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the most disgusting thing I have ever read. You are supposed to be man of God, and here you are, judging and believing someone to be in hell because they listen to a certain kind of music or wear a certain kind of clothing.

Shame on you. You should be embarrassed.

El Chupanegray said...

Im sorry if I did not communicate my point very well, I wrote this a few hours after watching this young man pass away and this was more of a processing of what was going on in my head. The point I was trying to make was this ordeal was challenging me to think about whether Christian (very much including myself) really do love all people, Christians and non-Christians alike. And what makes me a man of God is not my doing but that I am an adopted son of God who is forgiven. And yes I do make mistakes, I am not perfect, but I continue to try to be more like Christ but I also fail. I would hope that if you have a problem with me, whether it be something I say or believe, I would hope that you would want to work with me in love through this rather than anonymously posting some very hurtful comments. Because you too have judged me from a few scattered comments as I attempt to process through the heavy events of that evening.